Fast object checkpoint

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:02:52 -0400

What is a "fast object checkpoint"? I have script which has to update ~60M rows.
I had to kill it and re-start it. The new incarnation did not wait for a bunch
of
TX locks, it was waiting for the following event:

ENQ: KO - fast object checkpoint

Surprisingly enough, this lock was held by the CKPT process, not PMON, as I've
expected. Very few undo blocks were actually consumed in v$undostat. My question
is what is "fast object checkpoint" and is there a new method of reclaiming
resources
held by murdered transactions? Is it documented anywhere?

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com