RE: Failure to Release Diskspace

  • From: "Fowler, Kenneth R" <Kenneth.R.Fowler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>, <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:48:36 -0400

Also a long time since I used VMS.  I do remember that one issue I
sometimes faced is that the free block count on a disk device would
sometimes not match up with reality (might be the issue you face).  To
correct this we would use copy/allocate command... something like...

$ copy/allocate=nnnnnn junk.dat junk2.dat

where junk.dat was a small file and "nnnnnn" was some large number to
force the command to fail.  This had the side effect of resetting the
free block count for the device.

Regards,
Ken.

Business Applications, Solutions and Service Delivery (BASSD)
Database Services, Howard Street, New London, CT
Office: (860) 732-1422 | Mobile: (860) 389-3534