Re: FYI - 10gR2 automatic memory management bugs

  • From: MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 10:35:25 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In hopes that nobody else suffers critical slowdowns in their production
> database in the middle of the day or night, I am sharing what we have
> recently learned about some of the automatic memory management
> "features" (aka, bugs).
>
> Apparently, the algorithms that decide when and how fast to grow the
> shared pool are a bit less than ideal.
> <...>
> was told that 4466399 was only available in v11. And since there is an
> ingenious work-around, no one-off patch is planned. What is this
> work-around? Simple, turn off the automatic tuning features by setting
> sga_target = 0.

This is a perfect example of why it's best to hop from one terminal release to
the next one.  After staying on the bleeding edge and being used as a Guinea
pig for a number of years I have become very conservative when it comes to
production implementation of "hot" new technologies.

Regards,
- Vitaliy