FW: stipe size

  • From: "Ruth Gramolini" <rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:10:36 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Claus Lund [mailto:clund@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 7:52 AM
To: Ruth Gramolini
Subject: RE: stipe size

comments/answers are in Paul's email.

AIX 5.2 64bit

> What is the database block size?
> What filesystem are you using, or are raw volumes in
> use?

JFS2

> Does the storage unit have a cache that is used for
> pre-fetching, and does it also support write-back
> cacheing?

Yes and yes (and both are used).

> How many drives comprise the striped volume?

10x36GB RAID0+1 for oradata
6x36GB RAID0+1 for oraidx
6x36GB RAID0+1 for oramisc

> In an average statspack report, what is the average
> number of blocks fetched per request in your data,
> index and temp tablespaces?
>
> If you're performing mostly single block accesses,
> then a smaller stripe size will carry the least
> overhead, but may make maintenance operations take
> longer.
>
> It will be a tradeoff of optimizing performance of
> daily oltp activity (single block requests), vs. your
> monthly batch jobs which are likely more
> batch-oriented, which may favor a largish stripe size,
> say 512KB.
>
> I'd highly recommend that he short-stroke the drives,
> and only throw a filesystem on the outer half of the
> disks for datafiles, and throw a filesystem on the
> inner half for storing backups, archlogs, etc.

Right now we are mainly using the outer half of the drives ... however as
the database grows then we will certainly have to let the filesystems grow
closer towards the center of the drives.