Re: FW: auto start of listener with pwd

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rgramolini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 23:00:22 -0700

I *did* say you don't need to be a rocket scientist. :-) The "hard" part (to the extent there is one) is to find a *specific* listener (I generally have several per server) and/or parsing the PID out the the output from "ps". Not really rocket science there, either. Just a little 'grep' and 'awk'... If you *really* want to get clever, you can probably also wrestle it out of the /proc filesystem if your OS has one. (Well, okay *really* "clever" probably means dredging the information straight out of /dev/kmem, but while this is possible, who on earth would bother?)

What interests me more is whether anyone is aware of *any* negative side-effects to stopping a listener with 'kill -9'. Personally, I can't think of any. But that doesn't meant they don't exist... Maybe issues involving MTS or TAF? (I use neither, so I wouldn't know.) Anybody?

Cheers,
-- Mark

Ruth Gramolini wrote:

To find the process on the OS, just grep for tns. Ruth