FW: Re[1]: ORA-01159 during controlfile recreate ?

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:24:32 -0500

Prem
   I don't see any ready answer from the information you have provided, so
the best I can do is a few observations:
  - You say that you overwrite the existing files. Yet you are receiving an
error that may be caused by a file that was not overwritten. Consider
removing the existing files to ensure this isn't the cause of your problem.
  - I notice that you are actually receiving two error messages. It is
possible these are related, possibly having the same cause. A wrong file
name might be the root of both errors, for example.
  - Inconsistencies like this are caused by a difference between the CREATE
CONTROLFILE script and the data dictionary you are recovering. I have been
performing these recoveries for about 8 years now. In my experience, the key
is very carefully comparing the original dictionary to the recovered files
to the CREATE CONTROLFILE script. Very carefully, especially when recovering
over 400 files. It is better to practice with a smaller database to gain
confidence in the method. Essentially this is a test of your clerical
skills, like making lists of the files from each source, cross-comparing
them, making a check mark on each list.
  - In your second message you mention the step following the CREATE
CONTROLFILE statement. Did you previously open this database? Once you open
the database, Oracle changes the SCNs of all the data files. If you missed a
file, you can't simply return to the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement. You must
pull all the files from the backup tape and begin again.
  - I agree with your manager. The CREATE CONTROLFILE method is an important
tool for the DBA to master. I feel you are really close to resolving your
issues and once you've mastered this technique you will find it is very
valuable in the future.
   Sorry I can't be more definite on the source of your problem. Hopefully
someone whose eyes are more open than mine this morning will spot the exact
problem.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means
doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case,
the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
-- C.S. Lewis