Re: FW: Extended Characters

  • From: Frank <fvanbortel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:33:55 +0200

psinger1@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've gone through this a couple of times, and I think I've learned
> a few things from it (not that I can't learn some more). =20
>
> The NLS_LANG parameter on the Oracle client (and exactly what is
> the client is not always easy to spot in an n-tier environment)=20
> matches the codeset actually being used by the _client_, and the
> the NLS_LANG parameter on the Oracle server matches what is being
> used by the server (an easier task to verify) then everything works.
> Most likely, your web server is not using and encoding compatible with
> its NLS_LANG parameter.
>
> Notice I did not say that the NLS_LANG setting on the client must
> match that of the Server.  All of your character conversions is done
> by the client; to do this it has to know what the user is using, and it
> can't get that from the Server.  I would try changing the NLS_LANG
> setting on the web server to match whatever codeset you are using.

---------------------------
All true, but please bear in mind, that
Microsoft uses non ISO character mappings
(the Euro-sign is a prime example; however,
it's the European Union to blame, if I'm
informed correctly).
I would go for WE8MSWIN1252 as character set
for the client - anything 8 bits on the
server would be OK

Check your data with dump(column_name) to see
what characters were mapped to what code -
hopefully you'll find the culprit somewhere.

BTW - downloadable spreadsheets would be binary,
so stored in BLOBS - these aren't touched.
--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel