FW: Chained vs. migrated rows - Any easy way to tell the difference?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ORACLE-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:21:56 -0400

Steve (as usual) nailed it. As for the operation of the fix if you
decide you need it I have some ideas. If you set up the destination
table for the chained rows to be one row per block, then the
difference between used blocks in and count(*) of the destination
table is a ceiling on the number of chained rows. (It could overstate
the number of chained rows if one or more chained rows take up more
than 2 blocks. So if you have 1000 rows in the "chained row"
destination table and 1000 used blocks they were all migrated. IF 1001
then you know one was chained, but IF 1002 you aren't sure whether it
was two chained rows or one multi-chained row from just the
count(*) and the used block data.

But since you're trying to see if there are enough migrated rows to
bother fixing, that ceiling number subtracted from the count should let you
know.
And I think you can identify the chained rows from the destination
table as the ones that throw a continued row if you select the last
column there. If there are enough total rows to bother differentiating
between chained and migrated in your fix, you could use that
information to skip the deletion/reinsertion of the chained rows and
then use the destination table as the driver of the delete and
reinsertion of the migrated rows. (Simply delete the rows identifed as
truly chained in the destination table, leaving only the previously
migrated rows there.)

Regards,

mwf

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:27:51 -0400