FRA f/s block size

  • From: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:35:36 +0000

Hi folks.

I haven't seen this one discussed anywhere and can't really find any references
to it that are worth repeating.

Does anyone have any information on optimal file system block sizes for FRA?
As in: the area where one keeps RMAN backups and archived redo log backups?

Specifically, in my case: in 10gr2, 11gr2, Aix 5.3 and 6.1, using jfs2.

I've got my development node with an FRA file system with 512 byte block size.
And production is on 4096 - max for jfs2.

I haven't been able to prove conclusively that one is better than the other for
normal RMAN backup/restore operations.

Any accumulated wisdom/advice/experience on this?

TIA
Cheers
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia