Extra domain appended to service_name in EM

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:31:54 -0700 (PDT)

Background: We use Enterprise Manager 10.2.0.5. Our company has two
domains (say) old.com and new.com. For historical reason, we create
application services like app.old.com, but the DB service created
automatically is dbname.new.com.

Problem: Sometimes the graphs (e.g. Average Active Sessions) on the
Databases | dbname | Performance page in EM stops moving. It seems to
only happen to one RAC database (10.2.0.4). When this happens, we
usually go to Monitoring Configuration page, and usually the Service
Name on that page shows an application-specific service (app.old.com)
instead of what DBAs prefer to use (dbname.new.com). When that happens,
we manually change it and click Next and Submit. I'm not sure if those
two things are related. But the following is most likely related: When
the graphs are frozen, if we go to Top Activity page, it throws error:

ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
descriptor
The Connection descriptor used by the client was:
(description=(address_list=(address=(host=OneNodeVIP.new.com)(protocol=tcp)(port=1521))
(address=(host=AnotherVIP...)(load_balance=yes))(connect_data=(service_name=app.old.com.new.com)))

The problem is clearly the double domains in service_name. The preferred
service is dbname.new.com although app.old.com works too, but
app.old.com.new.com obviously is bad. We have never figured out under
what condition this bad service name is used, causing OMS to be unable
to connect to the target database. The workaround is to either restart
EM agent on each of the RAC nodes or fix the Service Name on Monitoring
Configuration page or both, and wait for one day or so (not sure
exactly how long).

Has anybody had this problem? Where are the domain names stored in
sysman (EM) repository if they're stored in there? We haven't touched
sqlnet.ora or ldap.ora (we use LDAP to resolve names) on OMS for a long
time and they're absolutely correct.

Yong Huang