Re: Extended RAC on SE

  • From: Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tom.dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 09:21:48 +0200

looks like it is not only two socket limit, it even limits, in the kernel
code I guess, the use of maximum of 16 threads in SE2, released yesterday
btw

So we have to look for quadcore CPUs, more core then they are just going to
be wasted :-O

On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Tom Dale <tom.dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree Mark,

​Finding single-socket servers is indeed tricky!​

We have bought many servers from broadberry in the UK, they allow us to
have SSD's, lsi controllers and 4hr hardware support, at a reasonable
cost, they do some single socket servers

eg

http://www.broadberry.co.uk/superservers-supermicro-servers/as-1012a-m73rf

Full spec :

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1u/1018/sys-1018gr-t.cfm

I just configured one

E5-2699 v3 Intel 18 Core Xeon 2.3GHz 45Mb Cache 145 Watts
6x 800GB Intel SSD S3500 DataCentre SERIES 2.5IN SATA3 MLC
LSI MegaRAID 9380-4i4e 12Gb/s SAS/SATA RAID Controller, 1Gb DDR4 Cache,
with Internal & External Ports
10GbE Dual-Port SFP+ (Direct Attached) Server Adapter - Intel E10G42BTDA
1st Year 24/7 Support - Up to 4 hours after submission of ticket, up to 5
incidents per year

£9,618.81 Ex. VAT

The E5-2699 v3 Intel 18 Core is a single chip processor, so my
understanding has always been it only needs one license, but I am no
licensing expert!

From http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf

When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard
Edition in the product name, a processor is counted equivalent to an
occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in
the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket.

But as Alfredo and Svetoslav have said a change in licensing might make
this a pointless exercise.

Oh well!

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Mark Brinsmead <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

This is true. However, finding single-socket servers can be something of
a challenge.

The example cited seems to work -- unless that 18-core processor is
implemented as a multi-chip-module ;-) -- but the majority of servers these
days are equipped with at least two sockets. You'll also need to make
certain your single socket server has enough network interfaces.

I don't know whether Oracle ever removed the language about multi-chip
modules from the OLSA. If they haven't though, it (still) makes license
management with SE very tricky.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:05 AM, Tom Dale <tom.dale@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As I read it you can 4 nodes,

https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?_afrLoop=358910255816631&id=220970.1&_adf.ctrl-state=znnb3zko4_57#A5750

Oracle Database Standard Edition can only be licensed on servers that
have a maximum capacity of 4 sockets. If licensing by Named User Plus, the
minimum is 5 Named User Plus licenses. Oracle Database Standard Edition,
when used with Oracle Real Application Clusters, may only be licensed on a
single cluster of servers supporting up to a total maximum capacity of 4
sockets.

*NOTE: This means that the server capacity must meet the restriction
even if the sockets are empty, since they count towards capacity.*

So if you have 4 single *socket* servers

eg you could have a single 18 core intel 2600 v3 with 512gb of ram in -

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/1018/SYS-1018R-WC0R.cfm

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:40 AM, Fernando Andrade <correo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Thanks @Joe
The answer was in the referenced doc. 220970.1

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Sweetser, Joe <JSweetser@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Check out Doc ID 220970.1 on MOS/metalink (old school J ).

Short answer is yes but there are a few restrictions.

Hth,

-joe