Extended RAC from Array Based Mirroring to Host Based Mirroring

  • From: Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:29:08 +0200

Hi all
We have a 4 nodes Extended RAC running 10 10.2.0.5 Sun Solaris since 2008,
the distance is around 20KM and the current performance is good. There are
around 15 databases in this Cluster.

The mirroring is done by the storage (EMC Clariion and Mirrorview), we are
considering changing this setup to ASM based mirroring to get a true
Active/Active setup with version upgrade to 11.2.0.3.

Host Based mirroring has some overheads such as CPU and I/O, we did some
tests and I/O seemed a pretty considerable bottleneck because all I/O are
issued twice from the host.

Has anyone done this switch from the past and dont mind share their
experience?

Thanks

--
LSC