Re: Extended RAC and multicast

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 18:18:49 -0600

Golden Gate as well as Data Guard.

On 4/16/2014 5:21 PM, Iggy Fernandez wrote:
Thanks, Tim. I will pass on the caution (that only Data Guard provides true redundancy).

Iggy

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:51:54 -0600
From: tim@xxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Extended RAC and multicast

Sorry to press, but do you know if they had evaluated Data Guard or Golden Gate at all? Did they really make such a decision based on a single piece of sales collateral?

I'm always shocked at how Oracle Corporation (and other vendors) will publish a white paper such as this, including a section on the "benefits of <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/overview/extendedracversion11-435972.pdf#page=6&zoom=auto%2c93%2c519>" without a balancing (and glaringly absent) "disadvantages of" section, which might include helpful cross-references to Oracle products Data Guard or Golden Gate. While there is brief passing mention of Data Guard in this paper, there is not a breath about Golden Gate. A "disadvantages of" section would have been the ideal way to steer customers for whom "extended RAC clusters" were not well-suited toward Data Guard or Golden Gate, both which are proven and widely implemented, which "extended clusters" are not.

The presence of only positive information about a product without any negative information ipso facto makes it a sales document, and worthless as a technical source.

On 4/16/2014 11:30 AM, Iggy Fernandez wrote:

    Hi, Tim,

    The customer bought the story (in the Extended RAC white paper)
    that Extended RAC provides some measure of Disaster Recovery (with
    the emphasis on some). The white paper is at

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/overview/extendedracversion11-435972.pdf.

    "Unlike classic Oracle RAC implementations, which are primarily
    designed as scalability and high availability solution that
    resides in a single data center, it is possible – under certain
    circumstances – to build and deploy an Oracle RAC system in which
    the nodes are separated by greater distances. For example, if a
    customer has a corporate campus, they might want to place the
    individual Oracle RAC nodes in separate buildings. This
    configuration provides a higher degree of disaster tolerance, in
    addition to the normal Oracle RAC high availability, since a fire
    in one building would not, if properly set up, stop the database
    from processing. Similar, many customers have two data centers in
    reasonable proximity (<100km) which are already connected by a
    direct, ideally non-routed, high speed link(s) and are often on
    different power grids, flood plains, and the like."

    "Oracle RAC on Extended Distance Clusters does not constitute a
    different type of cluster, neither is there a special installation
    option that one can choose from. This means that as far as the
    configuration of the system is concerned, the main goal is to hide
    the fact that Oracle RAC is now operating over distance. On the
    other hand, this means that the basic configuration remains the
    same, including its requirements. Attention must be paid when
    configuring the network and storage connectivity for Extended
    Distance Oracle RAC environments."

    Iggy

-- Iggy Fernandez
    Email: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    Cellphone: (925) 478 3161
    Blog: So Many Manuals So Little Time
    <http://iggyfernandez.wordpress.com/>
    Author of Beginning Oracle Database 11/g/ Administration

<http://books.google.com/books?id=pdSLnG66WQkC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false>
    Editor of the /NoCOUG Journal <http://bit.ly/rC2gRA>/
    Lecturer at University of Washington Professional and Continuing
    Education <http://www.pce.uw.edu/biography/ignatius-fernandez/>

    Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:36:25 -0600
    From: tim@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:tim@xxxxxxxxx>
    To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Iggy,

    Not to open any cans of worms (and please feel free to not answer
    this question for any reason), but why did they choose an
    "extended RAC" deployment in the first place, as opposed to any of
    the Data Guard options?  Do they already use Data Guard?  Was
    there something that "extended RAC" (or "geographically-dispersed
    cluster" technology) does better than Data Guard (or database
    replication technology) in general?

    Just curious...

    Thanks!

    -Tim

    On 4/16/2014 9:21 AM, Iggy Fernandez wrote:

        Thank you very much Martin.

        We found additional information on the multicast requirement
        at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/cisco_ucs_oracle_rac.html#wp439295

        Kindest regards,

        From: martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:46:39 +0200
        Subject: Re: FW: Extended RAC and multicast
        To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
        kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx>

        Iggy, Ravi,
        from all my test I call multicast a requirement from 11.2.0.2
        onwards.
        Take care about the different Multicast networks possible in
        different Patch-Sets!
        As you are talking about VLAN_S_ - I'd not do anything than
        pure switched private network. Everything else will lead to
        troubles sooner or later.

        My .02€
         Martin

        On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Iggy Fernandez
        <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            A friend asked me a question that I could not answer. He
            is in the planning stages of an "extended RAC deployment"
            and is looking for confirmation that multicasting is optional.

            Help would be appreciated.

            Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:13:03 -0700
            From: kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx>
            Subject: Extended RAC and multicast
            To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>

            I am looking to setup extended RAC for my client. The
            details are as following:

            The two data centers are separated by a distance of less
            than 20 miles.

            They are connected by a high speed dedicated connection.

            Operating System: RHEL 6 64 bit

            Database version: 11gR2 (11.2.0.3)

            Hardware: Four servers with 4x16 configuration

            All the documentation I have reviewed so far says
            multicast should be enabled on the private interconnect
            between all the nodes
            of a RAC database. However, my network resources tell me
            that multicasting is not enabled across the data centers
            and VLANs
            do not span across the data centers. The only reference I
            have seen to multicasting requirement is in this Oracle
            document:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/install.121/e17888/networks.htm#CWLIN476

            Specifically it makes the following assertion:

            "You do not need to enable multicast communications across
            routers"

            Does this mean, multicast is optional?

            Regards,

            Ravi Kulkarni