Re: Extended RAC and multicast

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 09:36:25 -0600

Iggy,

Not to open any cans of worms (and please feel free to not answer this question for any reason), but why did they choose an "extended RAC" deployment in the first place, as opposed to any of the Data Guard options? Do they already use Data Guard? Was there something that "extended RAC" (or "geographically-dispersed cluster" technology) does better than Data Guard (or database replication technology) in general?

Just curious...

Thanks!

-Tim

On 4/16/2014 9:21 AM, Iggy Fernandez wrote:
Thank you very much Martin.

We found additional information on the multicast requirement at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/UCS_CVDs/cisco_ucs_oracle_rac.html#wp439295

Kindest regards,

Iggy

--
Iggy Fernandez
Email: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:46:39 +0200
Subject: Re: FW: Extended RAC and multicast
To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx

Iggy, Ravi,
from all my test I call multicast a requirement from 11.2.0.2 onwards.
Take care about the different Multicast networks possible in different Patch-Sets! As you are talking about VLAN_S_ - I'd not do anything than pure switched private network. Everything else will lead to troubles sooner or later.

My .02€
 Martin

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM, Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    A friend asked me a question that I could not answer. He is in the
    planning stages of an "extended RAC deployment" and is looking for
    confirmation that multicasting is optional.

    Help would be appreciated.

    Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:13:03 -0700
    From: kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kulkarniravi@xxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Extended RAC and multicast
    To: iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:iggy_fernandez@xxxxxxxxxxx>

    I am looking to setup extended RAC for my client. The details are
    as following:

    The two data centers are separated by a distance of less than 20
    miles.

    They are connected by a high speed dedicated connection.

    Operating System: RHEL 6 64 bit

    Database version: 11gR2 (11.2.0.3)

    Hardware: Four servers with 4x16 configuration

    All the documentation I have reviewed so far says multicast should
    be enabled on the private interconnect between all the nodes
    of a RAC database. However, my network resources tell me that
    multicasting is not enabled across the data centers and VLANs
    do not span across the data centers. The only reference I have
    seen to multicasting requirement is in this Oracle document:

    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/install.121/e17888/networks.htm#CWLIN476

    Specifically it makes the following assertion:

    "You do not need to enable multicast communications across routers"

    Does this mean, multicast is optional?

    Regards,

    Ravi Kulkarni