Re: Extended Characters

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:23:58 -0400

On 04/13/2004 07:16:31 PM, Justin Cave (DDBC) wrote:
> Are you sure about that ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET statement?
> According to the latest 9.2 Globalization Guide
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96529/ch10
> .htm#1009904, the new character set needs to be a strict binary superset
> of the current database character set.  Since AL32UTF8 is not a strict
> binary superset of WE8DEC, I believe a full export & import would be
> necessary.

Hmmm, my wrong. I created the database in the UTF8 character set from scratch,
exactly
to avoid those problems. I've never done "ALTER DATABASE CHARACTER SET". Oh,
well,
the DBA will love her. The only thing she needs is a full/export import. If
it's a
TB sized database, the DBA is bound to have some fun. She's lucky that the DBAs
usually
aren't bloodthirsty types.
--
Mladen Gogala