RE: Export Problem

  • From: "Marquez, Chris" <cmarquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <chiragdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:44:31 -0400

catpatch.sql has more to do with upgrade/migrate then patch sets, right!?

I remember the old days when
migrate meant 7 to 8...version change.
upgrade meant 7.2 to 7.3...release change.
and patch meant 8.0.4 to 8.0.5...patch set change.

With out the help of the marketing dept. Oracle has totally hammered these
meanings.
I have a anther doc the explains where each term means to each version...but I
got to hard to keep up.  Now I just worry about it at the time...when planning
for change.

From my old notes;

     ----- Oracle Versions & Releases -----
The instructions in this document describe moving between different versions
and releases of Oracle.
Describes what each part of a release number represents.

Example of an Oracle Release Number
The release number 8.1.5.1.2 is displayed.
The significance of each number (reading from left to right) is shown in the
following table:

Number  Significance
8       Version number
1       New features release number
5       Maintenance release number
1       Generic patch set number
2       Platform specific patch set number

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA