Executions of a package in V$db_object_cache - dbms_stats_internal

  • From: John Hallas <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:15:12 +0100

I have a few questions regarding executions within v$db_object_cache on
10.2.0.3 (HPItanium)

The documentation
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/dynviews_1083.htm
  states that executions is not used but to view v$sqlarea for actual execution
counts

Looking at the output below executions are shown for dbms_stats_internal and no
other packages (hope the format is OK)

OWNER      TYPE     NAME
LOADS EXECUTIONS Kept
---------- -------- --------------------------------------------------
---------- ---------- ----
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_SYS_SQL
10          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_STATS_INTERNAL
15   91193443 NO
SYSADM     PACKAGE  PSFTAPI
19          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_SESSION
20          0 NO
SYSADM     PACKAGE  WRAPPER
24          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_STANDARD
33          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_STATS
34          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  PLITBLM
34          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_SQL
38          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  STANDARD
40          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_UTILITY
48          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_ASSERT
48          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_OUTPUT
54          0 NO
SYS        PACKAGE  DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO
57          0 NO

I know stats is heavily used on this Peoplesoft application/database so I am
not to surprised to see a high figure, but not as high as 91 million executions
in 26 hours. However that belies the documentation and the fact that every
other execution count is zero.

The second point is regarding the difference between dbms_stats and
dbms_stats_internal. I am unable to uncover much documentation on the later but
I am assuming it is called by dbms_stats.

I am struggling to join V$DB_OBJECT_CACHE with v$SQLAREA (via V$SQLTEXT) and I
suspect I have to get down to the X$ tables to finds the hash_id of the
dbms_stats_internal package

Any help appreciated

John

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for
anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to
accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into
any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.