Re: Excessive cpu usage on 10.2.0.3 linux 64bit

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:59:19 +0300

Think about it.
For each record:
1) For each fk:
   - calculate the value for the the referencing fk.
- search the index to see if you do not invalidate the fk by deleting the record.
2) For each index on the table:
   - calculate the index value.
- get the block that contain that value, may cause 0 or more physical I/O.
   - update the index tree
3) Delete the record from the block.

Multiply this by 4 M records and you get a lot of work.

Check the logical reads and I think you will see a lot of them.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Giovanni Cuccu wrote:
What really puzzles me is that I cannot understand where the cpu is
spent, because it's the cpu usage that slows the entire delete.
Thanks a lot,
Giovanni