Re: Except (Minus) all and Intersect all

  • From: David Aldridge <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gints.plivna@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 09:19:36 -0700 (PDT)

I think that the fundamental difference between UNION and INTERSECT and MINUS
is that the latter two can generally be performed with an outer join between
the tables, which union cannot. INTERSECT ALL and MINUS ALL are simply outer
joins with predicates to project the right rows, and INTERSECT and MINUS are
the same with a distinct operator slapped on.

Maybe that is why UNION has an ALL option and the others do not.