Re: Exadata patching + Oracle support

  • From: Kevin Closson <ora_kclosson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "acolvin@xxxxxxxxxxx" <acolvin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "jason.arneil@xxxxxxxxx" <jason.arneil@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:20:29 -0800 (PST)

The term "Engineered System" is a proper moniker for what Exadata is. I'm not
so sure it's all that catchy and it *most certainly* is nothing new. It's not
the world's first anything--it's just a pre-packaged system and it is actually
a really good prepackaged system. Does that mean is it the best? No, because it
can't do anything but  Oracle Database 11g and that is the kill button in my
opinion. When it was slated as the optimal Oracle/DW play (to stave off
Teradata and Greenplum), sure, fine, call it the worlds best platform for
Oracle DW...until another best of breed platform emerges to displace it.

Everything we know in IT has a shelf life.
If you start your typical server deployment with box-cutter in hand looking at
a palette full of boxes then, sure, having all those cables already plugged in
is going to feel like an incredible value-add.  There are, however, systems
offering in the industry that don't require you to own a box cutter...and they
nicely host more than just a single software solution (e.g. Oracle database).