Re: Exadata + OMCS

  • From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 00:20:46 -0600

I wonder what would happen if we started telling our customers that our
service practices are non-negotiable. Oh, that's right, they would promptly
stop giving us money and give someone else money who would be happy to
negotiate.

It's unfortunate so many companies have to put up with nonsense like this.
Certainly, Oracle is not the only culprit. What's worse is that there are
probably dozens of people that work for reputable Oracle partners that have
read this post and would be happy to manage your Exadatas the way you want
them managed and for much, MUCH cheaper.

Mark's point about Platinum Services is a good one but keep in mind that
having Platinum Services does not mean they will patch all of your binaries
and databases. In fact, it is pretty unlikely they will do more than one of
each but of course, that depends on your agreement.

Assuming you have Premier Support and Platinum Services, you can't be more
than one quarterly patch level behind to be on a supported configuration
<http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/certified-platinum-configs-1652888.pdf>
so I have to wonder if your system is even in compliance if OMCS is, in
fact, maintaining multiple patch levels.

Seth Miller