Error message(s) on standby datafile addition

  • From: daniel.hubler@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:28:54 -0500

*************************************
* Submitting this question a second time.
* Did not get much reply first time around.
* ************************************
This is Oracle v8174  on OpenVMS v732.

We run a standby database in managed mode.

In the past, when we were forced to add datafiles to the primary,
we would get an ORA-01516 (nonexistent log file, datafile or tempfile
'xxxxxxx')
on the standby, when that transaction hit.   We would then do the
ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE 'xxxxxxxx'
AS
'yyyyyyyyyyyy'.
We would then restart managed recovery on the standby.

Recently we have started to get a different message on the standby when
adding datafiles.  It looks like this:
==============
 8-APR-2005 14:45:14.27:
WARNING! Recovering data file 1514 from a fuzzy file. If not the current
file
it might be an online backup taken without entering the begin backup
command.
Successfully added datafile 1514 to media recovery
Datafile #1514: 'PRODD13:[V500.DB_PROD]D_PERSON_15.DBS'
===============
At this point, managed recovery continues on the standby;  archive log
files continue to be processed.

So we then end the managed recovery ("recover managed standby database
cancel")
and then alter the new datafile into the standby, just like before.

We then restart recovery.  Logs that have already been processed once, get
processed again.
I am assuming that the newly created datafile forces this.

This scenario seems to be working.  We invoked the standby just last
weekend and it came up fine.
We have rebuilt it since, copying from primary, and continue to get the
"WARNING - fuzzy file" message.

Can anyone explain why we would start getting a different message in this
situation?
Thanks.

Dan Hubler
Database Administrator