RE: Enterprise mangler

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "kylelf@xxxxxxxxx" <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>, "howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx" <howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx>, ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 09:29:38 -0700

Hi Kyle, I think I asked this the last time you posted your product, but I
didn't see a response: Does DB Optmizer require Diagnostics and Tuning Pack
licenses or does it operate without touching those restricted views,
procedures, etc.?

Also, does it perform any monitoring & alerting, or just interactive
performance troubleshooting?

I do my performance troubleshooting from the command-line (with help from free
statspack & 10046 & 10053 traces) so sometimes I get the feeling I'm becoming a
DBA "dinosaur" even though I'm only 32.  What I'm looking for is a lightweight,
reliable, easily customizable (open source) monitoring tool to monitor hundreds
or thousands of databases and email me when there are potential/upcoming
problems and page me when there is a critical problem.  I'm currently reviewing
a combination of Monocle and Nagios:

http://www.bluegecko.net/oracle_monitoring_monocle/

I haven't had much time to work on it yet.  Anyone else have a chance to play
with this product yet?

Thanks,
Brandon