Re: Enterprise mangler

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:01:56 +0100

Grid Control *is* free for the database that you've already paid for. It's
the extra packs and functionality that are add-on cost, and I have a history
of objecting to that, in fact in my world (hehe) the GUI would cost, but the
functionality would be part of the database. Never the less, the fact is
that GC itself is free - that is you *cannot* purchase it. Now it is true
that if you disable the functionality provided by the packs GC looks rather
poor, but then you must make sure that you compare like with like, no
running of AWRRPT, no querying any of the ASH related views, no generation
of alerts via the server_alert package and so on. GC however essentially
provides only 2 things, a centralized repository and a GUI for viewing
things, drilling down into problems and so on. The centralized repository is
something that scripts don't tend to have and drilling down from text
reports requires a significant amount of skill.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA