Re: Enterprise mangler

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 20:31:28 +1000

Mathias Magnusson wrote,on my timestamp of 3/05/2009 3:32 PM:

        Anyway, I don't really like Symantec... so my comment might be
        biased.
    Yup.

Alan's comment seemed fairly balanced to me. He gave some reasons and ideas of his experience. When you recommend E3, you give no reason for it.

Really?  Here are the reasons from his original post:
"E3? FocalPoint for Oracle? I've worked with it and it sux big time.
I don't really like the commercial tools that are out there. I usually build my own set of scripts and load them to a DB and generate reports using either APEX or JPGraph+PHP"

That is a strange set of "reasons" and "balance" in
anyone's language. Unless of course one frequents sites
that end with "sux" and considers them authoritative...

But at least he makes a point of rolling his own tools,
so all is not lost!  And anyone who uses APEX can't be
all bad!    ;)

Could you compare and contrast the features with OEM? What are the strong points of each and in which situation would you recommend either.

E3 works as specified out of the box.  OEM needs half
a dozen patches before it even matches its own specs.

E3 charges the workstation where it's loaded with the
bulk of its processing.
OEM overloads the memory and CPU of the system it is
monitoring with its deranged java+application server
architecture.

I don't know where OEM's creators got the notion that
it's a good idea to overload the monitored system
with a monitoring tool, but I can tell you upfront
it makes as much sense as a hippo in a china shop...

E3 has an interface that integrates perfectly with the
Windows GUI where it executes.  OEM has that dreadful,
non-functional "web interface" that is so prevalent
nowadays and only gets in the way.  It might be great
for shopping carts and other stuff, but for technical
tools that require a complex work process it makes no
sense at all.

Most of the objects in the E3 screens respond to direct
right-clicks with an in-context menu that lets you drill
down on the object and its related properties and environment.
With OEM you can right-click as much as you want it won't
do anything.  And if there is no link in the page you're in
to further drill down, then it's another 2 minutes of
navigation over multiple pages until you get anywhere.

E3 works perfectly and without a hitch with Oracle,
db2 and MSSQL.  Try monitoring other dbs than Oracle
with OEM.  Good luck.  Yes, I know: Grid can do it.
At EXTRA cost and Grid is NOT OEM.  As such, not
relevant here.

I'd recommend OEM only for shops that run only Oracle
and have no need for extensive administration tools.
And of course OEM is included with Oracle, while
E3 is extra cost in its totality.
Although if you want to make OEM really useful, you got
to purchase extra cost options.  No such need with E3:
it comes with everything, straight out of the box.
I'd recommend E3 for anyone that has a mixed
environment and uses mostly a Windows workstation
user interface. And yes, it costs.  So do the extra
packs you need to make OEM as useful.

See?  I didn't have to say "OEM sux".
Of course: I'm not after being "recommended" by
its proponents, so I really don't have a problem
pointing some of its (many) shortcomings.
A much better approach to get it fixed, than blindly
accepting it as "perfect" and "not make waves".

To me OEM is a good tool for getting a quick overview, but fully understanding the source of a problem needs some digging in OWI and I have yet to hear of a product that does that so well that I can forget what I know about how to navigate it.

Try E3.  You'll be surprised.
And there are others.
That was just an example.

--