Re: English semantics help needed

  • From: Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:09:17 +0200

>Patch would fix the rootcause but that would be of help only in future.

will it ? They talk about redo/archive logs but not about data blocks.

  From:       saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy@xxxxxxxxx>

  To:         Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  Date:       2011.11.29 13:22

  Subject:    Re: English semantics help needed

>> the patch does not fix the corruption. It only makes sure the
redo/archive logs are cleaned from this corruption so that backups/standby
work.

No,
From the note 7662491.8:
"The fix prevents this corruption to be introduced in the redo and will not
fix any existent corruption that is already introduced in the redo/archived
logs. Meaning that if the patch is installed and a recovery is attempted
again using the same archived logs, the error will be still produced."

>> select from table would still give an error, wouldn't it ?

Yes,Patch wouldn't fix anything that is already corrupt. Note suggests to
use dbms_repair to skip corrupt blocks.
>> There is no fix for the root cause ?
Patch would fix the rootcause but that would be of help only in future.

Regards,
Saurabh Manroy

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM, <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxx> wrote:.
      Bug 7662491 - Array Update can corrupt a row. ORA-600
      [kghstack_free1]
      ORA-600 [kddummy_blkchk][6110/6129] [ID 861965.1]

      Hi listers

      I have problem reading the metalink Bug 7662491 and especially patch
      7662491. Btw, we had a similar issue meaning this is not a
      theoretical
      interest of mine.

      Do I interpret the note correctly:

      the patch does not fix the corruption. It only makes sure the
      redo/archive
      logs are cleaned from this corruption so that backups/standby work.
      select from table would still give an error, wouldn't it ?
      There is no fix for the root cause ?

      Brgds, Laimis N