Encrypted Pages Caching Browser Caching Problem

  • From: "MacGregor, Ian A." <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'odtug-webdv-l@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <odtug-webdv-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"'odtug-dev2k-l@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <odtug-dev2k-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:15:59 -0800

This is a WSG application written in Designer 6.0 and using Oracle iAS 1.0.
All pages are protected by SSL.  Data entry may consist of mainly similar
records.  However  when users migrate out of a page on I.E. and return the
previously committed date is lost.  Instead of changing a field or two, the
record needs to be re-entered.  This does not happen with Mozilla.  There is an
option in I.E about whether to cache encrypted pages.  This has been set to
yes, but does not change the behavior.

Is there any setting on the server side which might be telling the browser not
to cache these pages?  Something which I.E is honoring, but Mozilla is not.
This behavior is new, and frustrating to users of the systems.  Perhaps one of
the many I.E. security patches is responsible.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx