Re: Effect of number of extents on Oracle I/O performance

  • From: japplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 18:40:12 -0500

Number of extents is irrelevant, especially with Locally Managed
Tablespaces.  Even in 8i I used to manage a database with huge interMedia
Text indexed tables with out-of-line CLOBs.  The tables and/or LOB
segments had over 30,000 extents and we had subsecond response time to
interMedia-type queries on the CLOBs.  And that was on a Windows2k server.

With LMTs I haven't worried about extents or the "fragmentation"
boogey-man in a decade.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>

Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/13/2009 06:08 PM
Please respond to
niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx

joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: Effect of number of extents on Oracle I/O performance

I haven't seen what you describe since about 7.3.4, perhaps you could
demonstrate what you mean so that we can try it out ourselves (I have a
likely 11g candidate in mind).

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Joel Wittenmyer <
joel.wittenmyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In Oracle 8 and 9 we saw that at 1000 extents performance began to drop
off.  At 2K extents it leapt, laughing maniacally off a cliff.  I know
that 10g is supposed to handle much more than that without a problem.
Tens or hundreds of thousands perhaps?  Does anyone have experience with
just what the new threshold might be?  Or is the architecture such now
that it is no longer a consideration?

Thanks in Advance.

Joel Wittenmyer
Sr. Database Architect