Re: Effect of adding more CPUs

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:16:59 -0700

When you say that 80% of the wait time is sequential reads, is that counting
CPU time in the total (i.e. sequential reads/(total waits + CPU) = 80%)?
Since you haven't yet run a 10046 trace, I'm guessing that you got your
figures from a statspack report.  Is your DB 8i or 9i?  How much parsing are
you doing?

Many will tell you not to use aggregate numbers (e.g., statspack), and
Cary's approach is the best one for solving specific problems.  His paper on
Performance Management Myths and Facts
(http://www.hotsos.com/downloads/visitor/00000024.pdf) has an excellent
explanation of the risks of more CPUs.  But you can get a lot of valuable
information from your statspack about whether more CPU will solve your
problem or add to a bottleneck.

--Terry