Re: Educating developers on RAC

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:19:43 -0300

This is far more complicated than you'd imagine. If developers manage
connect strings, then explaining how SCAN work is a must. The difficulty
with RAC, in my opinion, lies in the distributed nature of the  RAC, where
you can have the same query running on several nodes. If that query is  a
DML, then you may find hot blocks clogging the interconnect. There are also
some applications that scale better than others in RAC due to the nature of
the application. In havily  transactional systems you may find  RAC is of
very  little use. If the hardware is the same, the fastest way to split an
app for RAC use is DML versus strictly SELECT queries, leaving DMLs
restricted to only one node (or even maybe two). Doing this through
services will ensure  availability.
Cheers
Alan.-