RE: Easy way to copy databases when using RMAN?

  • From: Ken Naim <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 01:41:24 -0400

The Oracle 8i install on Solaris does hard code some of the os path's into
some of the binaries (particularly java related ones) and the database will
work fine assuming everything is soft linked properly until you need to
apply a patch or upgrade the system. T universal installer had issues even
though the orainventory was identical to the other server. I had to install
the software and only then I could apply patches. I haven't tried this with
9i but IMHO I'd avoid it. I hear 10g will allow cloning of an installation
onto the grid.

Ken Naim