RE: EXEC pROCEDURE IN TRIGGER

  • From: Guang Mei <GMei@xxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:05:48 -0400

I have read somewhere that when writing a trigger, one should not put all
the code in the trigger, instead one should create a store procedure and
call it from the trigger. Doing so would improve the performance, becuase
oracle will re-compile the trigger code everytime when a trigger is fired.
My question is if there is any paper/doc/study exist somewhere that compare
the performance. For a typical trigger with say about 20 lines of code, how
much improvement could one expect if putting the code into a procedure. I
guess I could do some test on the system by myself (too lazy), but wondering
if I can get some rough idea. I looked around on the web but can not find
any detailed paper out there.

Thanks.

Guang