ESCAPE clause causing longer query execution time

  • From: traci.l.rebman@xxxxxxx
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:40:46 -0500

Hello,
I have a query using LIKE with the ESCAPE clause to search for an
underscore '_' as a literal value.  When I run the query with the ESCAPE
clause it takes much longer then when the same query is run without the
ESCAPE clause.  I thought maybe it was an index issue, but explain plans
for both queries are identical.  I also tried rebuilding the indexes on
the table, but that made no improvement.  Does anyone have any
suggestions...I am stumped!

Time to delete row with value "EZ_COMPARE"       ==>  2 min. 54 secs.
Time to delete row with value "EZCOMPARE"       ==>  2 secs.

Thank you in advance,
Traci L. Rebman