ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

  • From: nilesh kumar <nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:44:32 +0530

Hello DBA's

Good Morning!!
Hope everyone is doing good.
I have a question for the issue I am facing.

Here is one of the database hosted on the unix box which is a test database
for the client. The box was rebooted and the database was not cleanly
shutdown once after the rebooted completed, the database did not came up and
I logged in and checked database was down. People from the appliation side
were getting this error message.ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or
shutdown in progress
We dont have any backup of the database other then the logical backup where
in the database is exported on schedule bases. When I tried as a DBA to
startup the database, it was expecting the recovery of the system.dbf file
with one of the archive sequence. But the database was in no-archive log
mode, hence was not able to bring up the database. Finally we brought up the
database with setting the parameter allow_restlogs_corruption = true. Now
the database is up and running but even now when the application side try to
login they are getting the same error message as "ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE
initialization or shutdown in progress".
I am a junor DBA. Please help me if there a solution for this or we need to
just re-import it all and start the database is that the only solution or
can we have another solution for this problem.

Thanks
Nilesh Soni