Re: ER software tool recommendation

  • From: Christopher Boyle <cboyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Harvinder_Singh@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 08:12:42 -0400

What is your budget for the tool?  I tried some open source ones last year
that would reverse engineer your instance but the forward engineering was
lacking.  I would have had to spend more time tweaking the generated code
than it would have taken for me to harvest it all directly from the DB.  If
you have a budget then ER/Studio or Erwin are the obvious choices, both of
which have their various proponents and detractors.  They may be overkill
for what you need but once you have the tool it's surprising how much more
you do with it.

Chris