Re: EMC, NetWorker Module for Oracle : Backup STrategy

  • From: mek s <sidi.bouzid.meknessy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:27:55 +0200

Hi Saurabh,

Thank you for your answer. One thing I don't understand from your message:

For better control, I  changed it to the following:

a.) Use Oracle Scheduler to trigger RMAN backups.
b.) Define retention policy in RMAN and put delete obsolete command in the
generic backup script. (The retention window on Netbackup server > retention
window defined in RMAN) .
c.) Avoids running crosscheck command time and again.

My questions are:

1- Why and How you have changed to that? Have you already faced issues using
the EMC retention policy configuration?
2- In my case, I am backing up the FRA to the tape; in this case do you
think there will be an issue with retention policies since retention policy
is used for backup pieces and NOT for Fast Recovery Area. ?

Thank you,