EM database control issues

  • From: Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:54:50 -0900

I'm having trouble stopping and starting a new database, both manually and with
Enterprise
Manager Database Control.

We have a 4 node linux system with the Grid Infrastructure installed and we're
using ASM.  I
installed the RAC One Node rdbms software and then created a RAC One Node
database yesterday,
but I'm unable to connect to it from the local machine unless I use sqlplus
myid@DBID instead
of just sqlplus myid.  This is true even when I'm connected as oracle.

I was able to shutdown the database manually, but now I can't start it up.  I
get the following
error:

> SQL> startup
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
> '/u01/app/oracle/product/rel112020/dbs/initDBA1.ora'

I'm sure this has something to do with the spfile being stored differently with
ASM.

When I try to use Enterprise Manager Database Control to stop or start the
database, I get errors
that I don't have permission to do this.  The files I don't have permission on
are owned by oracle,
with no group or other privileges.  I'm logging in to my own account from EM,
not the oracle account,
since I don't have the password for the oracle account.  My id belongs to the
same groups as the
oracle user, but that doesn't help when the files have no group permissions.

I know I'm missing something, but I'm not completely sure what that is, maybe
environment variables....
I've been reading through the ASM and RAC and Database Administrator manuals,
but nothing I've found
yet seems to resolve my problem(s).

Any suggestions?

- Maureen