Re: EM access to developers

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:59:06 -0500

On 01/31/2015 11:37 AM, Ruel, Chris wrote:
Your arguments against Dev access to OEM sound more like a training issue than
anything else.  FWIW, I have worked with DBA's in past lives that fit the same
criteria below whom I would not have wanted to have access to OEM either, let
alone developers.
Yes, that's the gist of it. I have never been asked by developers for an access to DBA management tools. My impression is that developers rarely want to see AWR reports or OS information. Most likely question is "why is my application not performing well" and the developers that I have been working with have been mostly satisfied by that.

I've been told that EM is a datacenter management tool, but I am not quite clear what that really means. There are data center monitoring tools like Nagios, Zabbix or Munin and ticket management tools like Jira, Issuetrack or Bugzilla which are pretty well established and have much larger customer base than EM. There are also commercial tools available from BMC and CA, which are also pretty well established. I have seen many EM 12c sites, used mostly for the database management. I am not sure that I would like to replace Nagios or Zabbix by EM 12c, mostly because it's very easy to find people who know how to work with Nagios or Zabbix and not so easy to find people experienced with EM 12c outside of the database community. Finally, I don't consider this a flame war, I am just not convinced that everybody should begin en mass migration to EM 12c from Nagios or Big Brother or that everyone wants to have the access to that data.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA