RE: EM 12c

  • From: Brian Pardy <brianpa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "srcdco@xxxxxxx" <srcdco@xxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:22:25 +0000

Hi Scott,

> We have installed Enterprise Manger Grid Control 12c on Red Hat 6 and are
> trying to figure out how to use it.  We can't get it to discover
> anything.  It will monitor anything that we add completely manually.  We
> would like it to discover databases instead of having to manually input
> everything for all the databases.  The discovery runs, but comes back with
> nothing found every time.  We have deployed the agent successfully and
> there are several new processes running on the host.  Unfortunately, I
> can't find anything in the documentation that tells what to do when this
> happens.  It just assumes that it's going to work.  Any ideas on places to
> look?

Please also check to make sure that your central inventory is in good
working order and accessible by the user running the agent.  I have seen
similar discovery failures when, at install-time, the agent configures a new
central inventory.  I believe that in addition to /etc/oratab, the agent
also uses the information in the inventory to identify databases on the same
host.

-Brian