Re: Duplicate production RAC to a staging/test RAC

  • From: oracle <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:54:53 -0400

Bobak, Mark wrote:

When you say "completely different hardware", do you mean across
hardware platforms?

What Oracle versions? What hardware platforms?

Sorry, more clarification....

10.2.0.2 RAC on Linux RHAS4, 64bit Opteron CPUs, HP Blades for all nodes. EMC DMX 800 storage presented via powerpath to ASM - same for source and target environments.

The goal is to duplicate a database on the 3-node cluster to a physically-separate 2-node cluster - same type hardware, same type OS, same type disks, etc.

I've found a little information here and there but nothing very helpful...

Thanks!

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.  --Richard P. Feynman, 1918-1988

-----Original Message----- From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of oracle Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:09 PM To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Duplicate production RAC to a staging/test RAC

hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any insights/tips/pitfalls regarding how to
duplicate a database from a production RAC environment to a testing RAC
environment.

I need a way to make a complete copy of a database in a 3 node RAC and put it into a 2 node RAC on completely different hardware - we give the developers and testing groups a complete copy of production to play with. Today it's all standalone instances but shortly I will need to migrate these environments to the new RAC environments.

thanks