Re: Dropping tables/Partitions with Purge... is data really gone?

  • From: rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 15:12:10 -0400

I believe purge ensures that table cannot be recovered from recyclebin. The
blocks are marked as available for reuse after drop, but it doesnt mean
they are reformatted or immediately reused (based on my very limited
knowledge).
So, if you dump some of those blocks (if you remember the blocks numbers),
you *might* be able to see encrypted data but not entirely sure about that.
Unless you drop the datafile, at the file system level it will appear as
still full (data) file since extent allocation is handled internally.

Raj