RE: Downsides to OMF?

  • From: "Powell, Mark" <mark.powell2@xxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:54:01 +0000

By why should you need to know where the database data files were so you can
manually set the file locations via SET NEWNAME in order to perform recovery.
A recovery operation should basically be an automatic idiot proof operation.
By default every file should automatically be copied back to the source files
full path location when you perform an rman recovery.  Only if you need to
relocate the database should you have to deal with SET NEWNAME.

I have never liked OMF though I understand why Oracle created the feature, but
if you are thinking of using OMF I would go with ASM instead.  Otherwise I
would name the files manually.

Just my opinion and the choice really probably does not matter so long as you
understand the backup and recovery requirements for your choice.
-- Mark D Powell --