Re: Don't know wallet password, can't open wallet

  • From: De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:54:25 +1000

Beware that the file names "ewallet.p12" and "cwallet.sso" are hard-coded: the parameter to
"orapki -wallet" and "mkstore -wrl" must be the *directory* where those files are stored, without
the name of the wallet file itself.. I found that the most confusing when I first started working with oracle wallets.

Cheers,
Tony

On 21/01/15 14:42, Seth Miller wrote:
If you have the password, you don't need the sso file. In fact, you can easily
recreate the sso file with mkstore or orapki. You're sure the password you have
is the right one?

If this command works, you have the right password and there is no need to move
everything back.
orapki wallet display -wallet <path to wallet directory>

Seth Miller

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Sandra Becker <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    We are going to swing the storage back to the old server in the morning and
see if everything opens again.  The cwallet.sso as a local-only file makes
sense based on what we see and the fact no one changed the password, that we
are aware of anyway.  We acutally have the pasword in Password Safe, but it
doesn't work on the new server.  We also are attempting to contact the guy who
set this up a few years ago.  Even though he left the company almost 2 years
ago, he's been helpful with other issues.  Keeping our fingers crossed.

    Thanks for the replies.

    Sandy

    On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM, De DBA <dedba@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:dedba@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Oracle could well be correct... If you've still got the original
ewallet.p12 AND cwallet.sso in the same place as on the old server, and your
sqlnet.ora file still identifies the wallet directory correctly, then I'd be
inclined to think that the cwallet.sso (Single-SignOn file) was created as a
local-only file. This means that it cannot be moved to another server and used
there to open the wallet. In that case, you'll have to recreate it, or return
the array to the old server.

        Unless of course your boss/the CSO/the coffee lady/etc... has the
password stored in some old envelope at the bottom of the safe, perhaps?  Or
did the old guys use a generic password for almost anything? You can test on a
copy of the ewallet.p12 file with mkstore indefinitely, there is no lockout
after so many attempts..

        Cheers,
        Tony

        On 21/01/15 12:46, Sandra Becker wrote:

            Oracle 11.2 EE

            We moved a database to a new server this morning.  Unmounted the
disk array from the old and mounted it on the new.  Now we can't open the
wallet.  The people who might have know the wallet password were laid off a
year ago.  Oracle support says we're screwed.  Isn't there some kind of back
door?

            We need this database open tomorrow morning for the customers. Any
help is appreciated.

-- Sandy
            GHX

-- Sandy