Re: Does this happen to you at work?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:39:34 -0700

On 5/10/05, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of putting together a standards document
> for Oracle databases and am including a passage stating that databases
> shall have meaningful names relating to their purpose.

Why is that better than meaningless names?

Consider a database hosting 3 different unrelated applicatons.

What would be a meaningful name for that database?

Meaningful names can also be considered a security risk,
just as they are with servers.

Ours are named tsxx, prxx, dvxx and qaxx, where x is a digit.

--
Jared Still