Does the RECORD option for EXP do anything?

  • From: "Jesse, Rich" <Rich.Jesse@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:18:57 -0600

Hey all,

Helping debug an export (not DP) on 10.1.0 on a Winders 2K3 Server where
it has started inexplicably hanging, waiting in "SQL*Net Message from
client".  It uses conventional path and I was wondering if the defaulted
"RECORD=Y" was possibly causing the issue, since I've used RECORD=N.  So
I went to Tahiti -- the webpage, not the island.  There is no record of
the RECORD option of exp in the 9.2 nor 10.1 utilities manuals.

Curiousity got me so I started doing trials with
DBMS_SUPPORT.START_TRACE(WAITS=>TRUE, BINDS=>TRUE) active in a logon
trigger in another 10.1 DB on Linux.  The trace outputs are almost
exactly the same between traces using RECORD=N and RECORD=Y, save for
timing differences, as reported by sdiff and awk.

So is the RECORD option just an obsolete placeholder?  I'm not having
any luck searching with the ubiquitous "record".

TIA,
Rich