Re: Do you ask the question: How do I work with Oracle Support....?

  • From: John Scoles <scoles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 07:09:48 -0400

 On 06/04/2011 10:45 PM, Robert Freeman wrote:
So, I wonder if it's fair to judge Oracle support vs. some of the brighter minds here. Wolfgang, you and several others here on Oracle-L know Oracle to such a degree that your calls to Oracle support are probably more likely to be reporting bugs that you have already identified, or dealing with truly mystifying issues. Somehow I think that if you are opening an SR and sending a 10046 trace file to Oracle Wolfgang, I suspect the problem was anything other than simple.

We all know that remote support can be a difficult proposition. I would propose that the complexity of remote support increases in a non-linear fashion based on the complexity of the problem. I've also found that you can have two very smart people, work the same problem, with two totally different answers.

So, I can understand that there might be a curve of support with respect to satisfaction with support based on the experience level of the person using support.

Not to say that Wolfgang should not have gotten sterling support... but I'm just sayin'..... :)

I've always thought that Metalink SR's should include a click box that indicates the expertise of the person opening the SR and a resulting decision tree comes into play with respect to how the SR is routed. That way when Wolfgang files and SR, he can click the super expert box and be routed to a super expert right off the bat....

Been there, done that, gave up on it.

Not a good idea at least from the service provider point of view. Seems the customer is always a 'Super Expert', and the issue no matter how trivial can only be solved by another 'Super Expert'

Just my thinking.

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation, Oracle ACE
Author of various books on RMAN, New Features and this shorter signature line.

Note: THIS EMAIL IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ORACLE SUPPORT COMMUNICATION. It is just the opinion of one Oracle employee. I can be wrong, have been wrong in the past and will be wrong in the future. If your problem is a critical production problem, you should always contact Oracle support for assistance. Statements in this email in no way represent Oracle Corporation or any subsidiaries and reflect only the opinion of the author of this email.