Re: Do we have to disable NUMA to configure HugePages?

  • From: Rajesh Aialavajjala <r.aialavajjala@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fmh <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:35:02 -0400

Unless I am mistaken - given that NUMA is disabled in the RDBMS starting
with 11.2 - there should be no explicit requirement to perform any
disabling - depending on your OS - you may have NUMA enabled at the OS
level but the database should (I'd think) not take that - you'll notice
from 1484809.1 that the combination of the OS and the fact that NUMA is
enabled by default is what led to an issue.
Vide 759565.1 - Oracle states "When running an Oracle database with NUMA
support in a NUMA capable environment, Oracle will by default detect if the
hardware and operating system are NUMA capable and enable Oracle NUMA
support." - this might imply that if you are running 11.2 on NUMA capable
h/w - you will need to validate if NUMA is being enabled. All the bugs
listed in this note however were fixed as of Release 11.2.0.2

It would appear that there's no incompatibility when running huge pages on
a NUMA system - given that the alert log in such a situation has been known
to report

Numa pool size adjusted****************** Huge Pages Information
Huge Pages memory pool detected (total: 10395 free: 7995)
DFLT Huge Pages allocation successful (allocated: 146)
NUMA Huge Pages allocation on node (1) (allocated: 186)
NUMA Huge Pages allocation on node (0) (allocated: 182)
DFLT Huge Pages allocation successful (allocated: 1)

indicating the use of NUMA and Huge Pages...