Re: Do we have to disable NUMA to configure HugePages?

  • From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx" <fmhabash@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:32:06 +0000

Hi,

At OOW this year, I had the opportunity to see Steve Shaw of Intel speak
about performance of Intel CPUs with Oracle database workloads.

You didn't mention what architecture you're running, so, I'm not sure how
much of the following applies to your environment.  If you *are* on Intel,
then read on.

First, although Oracle does currently recommend disabling NUMA, my
understanding from Mr. Shaw's talk, was mainly that it's disabled cause it
can be tricky to get the configuration right, and on systems with a small
(4 or less) number of sockets, the benefits of NUMA are limited.  On
larger systems with lots of sockets, NUMA can make a bigger difference.

But, my interpretation of his position was "let's enable NUMA, get it
right, and not leave any performance on the table".

Specifically on the topic of NUMA configuration and hugepages, see this
article:
https://communities.intel.com/community/datastack/blog/2013/09/13/configuri
ng-memory-for-oracle-on-linux

For several various blog entries about optimizing Oracle on Intel, see
this list:
https://communities.intel.com/people/steveshaw/content?itemView=detail

Hope that helps,

-Mark