Re: Do missing binds prevent creation of baseline?

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 15:18:56 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Kerry,

> 1. In 11g, baselines use the same hint based mechanism as profiles and
> patches. That is to say that there is no guarantee with baselines that the
> plan will reproduced, just as with the other hint based options. There is
> not a true stored plan with baselines, at least as of 11g. I think it might
> be a coming attraction of some future release.

Hmmm...perhaps I am misunderstanding this blog post (commented by Dominic!):

https://blogs.oracle.com/optimizer/entry/what_is_the_different_between

So "plan" in the context of the article's reference to "SQL Plan Baseline"
is not really the SQL execution plan viewed in V$SQL_PLAN?  And if the
optimizer is only able to choose between the plans available via baselines,
wouldn't that absolutely prevent any alteration of the execution path,
regardless of other changes (e.g. missing index, structure changes, etc.)?

Poking around the data dictionary, are you referring to the COMP_DATA column
of SYS.SYSOBJ$DATA?  I am unable to find a reference to a true stored
plan... :\

> So I often fall back to set from v$sql_bind_capture if I can't find what I
> want in other_xml.

...which is missing the binds of the columns to be modified via this UPDATE.

> 3. Not updating 1.8M records per night is probably the the correct fix. :)

Whew!  I think I got something right today!  ;)  Hopefully, between you and
Dominic, I'm learning something about 11g...

Thanks!
Rich