Re: Distributed transactions (two-phase commint) without DB links

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:39:18 -0800 (PST)

> Exactly! Now it's easier without DB links and that's
> what we want to
> keep simple.
> If using OCI or XA API is too bulky, complex, slow,
> etc. than we might
> choose db links.
Then the other option is to have only OCI with
covering possible failures somehow with not too
complex logic (hopefuly not happening too often).

> If I am not mistaken it's pure OCI and XA API is
> build on top of it.
Yes, for Oracle. I mean when all db's you are using
are Oracle. But the API calls are more heavy.
> Am I incorrect assuming that DB links are done in
> principle via the
> same mechanism?
Yes, just you do not need to play with API's. You are
doing your transaction without knowing where, how and
just commiting at the end. It is just the way to go
when more Oracle databases are involved.
Will leave XA for more complex cases and other
integrations.

> Well... sometimes data loss or functional
> inconsitence is very expensive.
I agree. I hope that sometimes is not happening every
day, so may be normal to loose something.
I did not get some books from Amazon last week. They
will pay for new ones who cares. If you pay less your
phone or electricity bill, who cares, they will save
millions on HW instead of some money on our bills.

> You don't pay extra for OCI.
> I thought XA API is also included with normal
> license.
I did not mean that cost.
Do you know how expensive are XA API insert calls in
regards to normal API calls?
If you need twice more CPU's to cover that then it is
going to be more awful, just to have the perfect
application :)

Regards,
Zoran Martic